19 Oct Middlegate Station
In early descriptions of the routes to the American west, the mountain passes were referred to as “gates.” In 1859 the overland stage built the first Middlegate Station to provide a rest stop for the passenger and freight lines crossing the area. The short-lived pony express used the station to change mounts during its eighteen month history (1860-61). Middlegate Station fell into ruin following Nevada’s early bonanza years. Restored twice, (1942 and 1984), the establishment is known today for its “Monster Burger.”
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.