23 Dec Old Mormon Fort, Las Vegas
Arriving from Utah in 1855, 30 Mormon missionaries built an adobe fort here as the first permanent structure erected in the Las Vegas valley. The flowing springs of Las Vegas Creek determined their choice of location. The building in the photograph is the only surviving part of the original fort. Las Vegas Creek, now dried up, may still be glimpsed in a water feature at the left of this panorama. The Mormon effort lasted only two years; succeeding owners of the property used it as a ranch and trading post. It is now a historic park operated by the Nevada Division of State Parks.