View in full screen mode to use the interactive map.
Frederick William Stock began homesteading in Paradise Valley (north of Winnemucca) in 1864. His first dwelling was a sod house. After the railroad arrived, he was able to obtain lumber to build a small wood house. Buying out his partner, Stock’s holdings increased to a large and diversified operation that raised and sold sheep, hogs, horses, cattle, and grain.
Many of the descendants of William and Wilhelmina Stock still ranch and farm in the valley. At the time of her death the ranch’s holdings included 3,000 cattle, 6,000 sheep, 1,000 horses, and 17,560 acres of land.
Stock’s son-in-law Fred Stewart managed the ranch from the 1920s to the 1950s. During this era improvements included the construction of outbuildings and line camps, notably the handsome stone structures built by the Italian immigrant stonemason Tony Ramasco. These are the buildings featured here.
From Buckaroos in Paradise
Touch here for the HMD version.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.