05 Oct Reno Mercantile Building
Built in 1872, the Reno Mercantile Building, or Reno Masonic Temple, was Reno’s oldest extant commercial building, having survived both the 1873 and the 1879 fires that destroyed most of the downtown business district. The large upstairs space housed the Masons, while James C. Hagerman, a dealer in groceries and hardware, leased the first floor. In 1895 Reno Mercantile took over the ground floor and operated there until 1970.
In October 2018 the building’s owners determined that structural flaws made the survival of the structure impossible. The demolition was completed in January 2019.