07 Nov Osceola
The cemetery, overlooking Spring Valley, is nearly all that remains of the placer mining town of Osceola, located near Great Basin National Park on the western slopes of Mt. Wheeler at 7,500 feet. The town began with the discovery of gold ore in 1872. The largest gold nugget ever mined in Nevada, valued at $6,000, was found here in 1877. During its peak, between 1873 and 1877, there may have been 400 miners working claims in the town, served by two stores, a hotel, restaurant, school, and other establishments. The decline of the placer deposits, the lack of water, plus a major fire in 1890 forced the mining company to close in 1900. Another fire in the 1950s destroyed most of the remaining buildings.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.