Click on the hotspot for a closer view.
The ruins of the Sand Springs Pony Express Station are located just south of the Sand Mountain Recreation Area, 20 miles east of Fallon. While it lasted but a year and a half, the Pony Express holds a special place in the folklore of America (and Hollywood). It was a monument to the nation’s frontier spirit and the exuberance of its westward expansion. Before its business plan was upended by the completion of the transcontinental telegraph in 1861, its young men and their ponies carried the mail 2,000 miles across the mountains and deserts in only 12 days. There were approximately 30 Pony Express stations in Nevada, where the riders would change mounts. The Sand Springs Station was buried by drifting sand dunes for more than a hundred years after it was abandoned. It was rediscovered and excavated by a team of archaeologists from the University of Nevada, Reno in 1977.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.