American Flat Mill

The ruins of the United Comstock Merger Mill at American Flat were demolished in late 2014. This 137-node virtual-reality tour was photographed from August to December of 2014.


Lagomarsino Canyon Petroglyphs

Lagomarsino Canyon, a Nevada rock art site on the National Register of Historic Places, is a quarter mile long. It consists of 2229 rock art panels, some created up to 10,000 years ago.


Gold Hill Depot

The Gold Hill Depot of the V&T Railroad was completed in September 1869. The station served passengers and freight, and was also a telegraph station.


Headframe of the Combination Shaft

This headframe served the Combination Shaft of the Chollar-Potosi/Savage/Hale & Norcross Mines beginning in 1875. With a depth of 3,250 feet, this was the deepest shaft of the Comstock.


1873 Wooden Box Flume

Water was first brought to the Comstock by springs and wells. Usually, however, by autumn the water supply became insufficient. The solution brought water from high up in the Sierras.


Old Virginia City Jewish Cemetery

During the height of the Comstock, this cemetery served Virginia City's thriving Jewish community. When the city's population began to shrink, the cemeteries fell into disrepair.


The Virginia City Coach

Once the rolling home of eccentric writers Lucius Beebe and his partner Charles Clegg, the Virginia City railcar began its life in 1928 as the Pullman car Crystal Peak.


Bucket of Blood

The Bucket of Blood, with its live music, authentic bar, and elaborate decor, is frequently voted the best rural saloon in Nevada.


Territorial Enterprise

Established in Genoa in 1858, the Territorial Enterprise was to become one of the most important newspapers in the early American West.


Werrin Building

The Werrin Building, on the south end of Virginia City, dates to 1873. John Werrin was a grocer from Cornwall, and his business stood on the edge of what was a Cornish neighborhood.


Old Washoe Club

The Washoe Club dates to the early 1860s. It was a high class bar, where a glass of whiskey or a cigar cost twenty-five cents. The furnishings were among the most elegant on the Comstock.


Piper’s Opera House

John Piper came to Virginia City in 1860 and opened a bar on this site. In 1867 he bought Maguire’s Opera House, which then burned in 1875. He built this new opera house next to his bar.


Artifacts of Old Virginia City

During excavations at the sites of the Boston Bar and Piper's Old Corner Bar, archaeologists recovered many different artifacts of old Virginia City. Here are six of them in virtual reality.


Gold Hill Hotel

Proclaiming itself "Nevada's Oldest Hotel, the hostelry dates to the early 1860s and features a great room with hand-sawn ceiling boards.


Mackay Mansion

Known as the Mackay Mansion, this 1860s era home was actually built for the superintendent of the Gould and Curry Mine. John Mackay later bought the mine and the building.


Virginia City Cemetery

The Virginal City cemetery of today appears nothing like it did during the bonanza years of the Comstock. It was once a lush parkland, composed of more than a dozen different burial grounds.


Sutro Tunnel

When gushing hot water threatened the production of the deeper Virginia City mines, Adolph Sutro offered an audacious solution. He would build a tunnel from Dayton up to the Comstock’s mines.


Fourth Ward School

Virginia City's Fourth Ward School opened in 1877. The Fourth Ward was the largest and most advanced of several schools in the district. It is also the only one to survive.


St. Mary’s in the Mountains

St. Mary's in the Mountains in Virginia City was rebuilt after the great fire of 1875. The interior features redwood columns and gothic rafters, original alters, pews, and confession box.


Storey Co. Courthouse

The courthouse opened in 1877. Electrification during the Great Depression left Art Deco style fixtures hanging from the high ceiling.