The ruins of the United Comstock Merger Mill at American Flat were demolished in late 2014. The working life of this cyanide-processing operation, once the largest in the country, began in 1922 and ended just four years later with the collapse in the price of silver. All salvageable equipment and building materials were removed soon afterward. The eight buildings on the site slowly decayed, but provided an engaging post-apocalyptic setting for graffiti artists, photographers, and airsoft warriors. For many growing up in the area the site served as a favored coming-of-age venue for escaping parental authority.
Drag within the panorama to navigate. For the most detail, click the “full screen” button at the right of the toolbar. To use the interactive map, which allows direct access to some nodes, click the “M” button in the toolbar. For a telephoto virtual-reality view from the southwest, click here. For a 1920s panorama of the site, click here.
The virtual-reality tour of this vanished corner of Comstock history was commissioned by the Bureau of Land Management, and photographed from August to December of 2014. There are 137 interconnected VR panoramas in the tour, including multiple views of the eight mill buildings, historical panoramic photographs, and panoramas made during the demolition process. The tour extends to the modern Comstock Mining operations and the V&T Railroad depot in Gold Hill.
If you would like to view the virtual tour of the American Flat Mill using a head-mounted device (e.g. Google Cardboard or Oculus Rift), click here.
There are 42 historical photographs, one audio, and two videos embedded within the VR tour. The photographs are also in the gallery below. They are used courtesy of: Joe Curtis Collection; Nevada Historical Society; and Special Collections, University of Nevada, Reno Libraries. Embedded videos are used courtesy of Mike Davis (BLM). Research Assistant: Jeri Chadwell.