7

American Flat Mill

The ruins of the United Comstock Merger Mill at American Flat were demolished in late 2014. This 137-node virtual-reality tour was photographed from August to December of 2014.

0

Gold Hill Depot

The Gold Hill Depot of the V&T Railroad was completed in September 1869. The station served passengers and freight, and was also a telegraph station.

0

Headframe of the Combination Shaft

This headframe served the Combination Shaft of the Chollar-Potosi/Savage/Hale & Norcross Mines beginning in 1875. With a depth of 3,250 feet, this was the deepest shaft of the Comstock.

8

Abandoned Mill, Toulon

The abandoned mill buildings in Toulon date from 1892. The main building housed a ball mill used to process tungsten as well as precious metals.

0

Ichthyosaurs

No ichthyosaur has been swimming in Nevada for 200 million years. But 36 fossil specimens of the giant prehistoric reptiles were discovered here. The ichthyosaur is the Nevada state fossil.

0

Ruby Hill

Discovered in 1869, the rich veins of silver and gold at Ruby Hill soon attracted enough miners to grow a rough camp into a real town.

1

New and Old Ruth

In 1902 the discovery of an immense source of copper ore lead to the founding of Ruth. Its mining boom rivaled the bonanzas of precious metals on the western side of the state.

0

Old Lander Co. Courthouse

Lander County’s courthouse moved around with the population. The first was in Jacobsville. But then a newly-discovered vein of silver in Austin prompted the county to move its seat to Austin.

20

Goldfield Hotel

The Goldfield Hotel opened its doors in 1908, just a couple of years before the town's mining boom was over. It was called in its day “the gem of the desert.”

2

Chollar Mine

With its riches first located in 1859, the Chollar Mine (later the Chollar-Potosi) was one of the leading producers on the Comstock.

0

Berlin Stamp Mill

Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park is at 7,000 feet on the western slope of central Nevada's Shoshone mountain range. Berlin saw its heyday in 1908, diminishing to nothing by 1911.

1

Amargosa Opera House

In July of 1968, Marta Becket, a transplanted dancer from New York, discovered an unused building in Death Valley Junction and began its transformation into the Amargosa Opera House.