13 Oct Old Lander Co. Courthouse
Click on the doorway to enter the courtroom.
From its inception in 1862 Lander County’s courthouse has moved around with the ebbs and flows of population. The first, in Jacobsville, was a simple wooden affair. But then a newly-discovered vein of silver in Austin prompted the county to move its seat—and its courthouse—to Austin just a few months after the building’s completion. In an effort to encourage more permanence, officials planned a monumental brick courthouse, completed in 1872 at a cost of $30,000. Austin lost its position as the county seat in 1979 when Battle Mountain gained that distinction. Now the former courthouse in Austin serves as a regional county facility.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.