American Flat Mill

The ruins of the United Comstock Merger Mill at American Flat were demolished in late 2014. This 137-node virtual-reality tour was photographed from August to December of 2014.


Lagomarsino Canyon Petroglyphs

Lagomarsino Canyon, a Nevada rock art site on the National Register of Historic Places, is a quarter mile long. It consists of 2229 rock art panels, some created up to 10,000 years ago.


Gold Hill Depot

The Gold Hill Depot of the V&T Railroad was completed in September 1869. The station served passengers and freight, and was also a telegraph station.


Storm over Mt. Rose

From a viewpoint midway up the Geiger Grade, looking down over the entire Washoe Valley, the sunset colors show through the storm front over Mt. Rose.


Headframe of the Combination Shaft

This headframe served the Combination Shaft of the Chollar-Potosi/Savage/Hale & Norcross Mines beginning in 1875. With a depth of 3,250 feet, this was the deepest shaft of the Comstock.


1873 Wooden Box Flume

Water was first brought to the Comstock by springs and wells. Usually, however, by autumn the water supply became insufficient. The solution brought water from high up in the Sierras.


Old Virginia City Jewish Cemetery

During the height of the Comstock, this cemetery served Virginia City's thriving Jewish community. When the city's population began to shrink, the cemeteries fell into disrepair.


The Virginia City Coach

Once the rolling home of eccentric writers Lucius Beebe and his partner Charles Clegg, the Virginia City railcar began its life in 1928 as the Pullman car Crystal Peak.


Moonlite Bunny Ranch

Known on late-night HBO's "reality" television series as the Cathouse, the Moonlight Bunny Ranch is located in the small community of Mound House.


Bucket of Blood

The Bucket of Blood, with its live music, authentic bar, and elaborate decor, is frequently voted the best rural saloon in Nevada.


Territorial Enterprise

Established in Genoa in 1858, the Territorial Enterprise was to become one of the most important newspapers in the early American West.


Werrin Building

The Werrin Building, on the south end of Virginia City, dates to 1873. John Werrin was a grocer from Cornwall, and his business stood on the edge of what was a Cornish neighborhood.


Piper’s Opera House

John Piper came to Virginia City in 1860 and opened a bar on this site. In 1867 he bought Maguire’s Opera House, which then burned in 1875. He built this new opera house next to his bar.


Fourth Ward School

Virginia City's Fourth Ward School opened in 1877. The Fourth Ward was the largest and most advanced of several schools in the district. It is also the only one to survive.


Chollar Mine

With its riches first located in 1859, the Chollar Mine (later the Chollar-Potosi) was one of the leading producers on the Comstock.


St. Mary’s in the Mountains

St. Mary's in the Mountains in Virginia City was rebuilt after the great fire of 1875. The interior features redwood columns and gothic rafters, original alters, pews, and confession box.


Storey Co. Courthouse

The courthouse opened in 1877. Electrification during the Great Depression left Art Deco style fixtures hanging from the high ceiling.