05 Oct St. Mary’s in the Mountains
St. Mary’s in the Mountains Catholic Church in Virginia City was rebuilt after the great fire of 1875, retaining in its belfry a 2,264-pound bell with a 100-pound clapper that survived the fire. The interior features redwood columns and gothic rafters, original alters, pews, and confession box. Maria Theresa Fair, wife of a Big Bonanza king, donated the zinc baptismal font. Most of the stained glass windows date to the mid-twentieth century. A major restoration project in 2009 returned the choir loft, staircases, wooden arches, and pews made to their original state. A gift shop, museum, and wine cellar were added.
Touch here for the HMD (Google Cardboard) version.
The interior prior to its 2009 restoration may be seen in this panorama photographed in 2005.