30 Oct Wells: 2008 Earthquake Damage
Click the hotspot to see Wells c. 1938
Originally named “Humboldt Wells” for the nearby springs that are the source of the Humboldt River, the town’s name was shortened to “Wells” when it was rebuilt after a major fire in 1877. During its heyday the town served as a railroad division point and a supply center for the mining town of Cherry Creek. On the morning of February 21, 2008, a 6.0 earthquake devastated the town’s historic Front Street district. Some twenty buildings were damaged, perhaps beyond repair.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.