14 Dec Tuscarora
Click the hotspots for three additional views.
As prospectors dispersed from Austin in 1867 they discovered rich placer sands in a place that one of the miners named Tuscarora to honor the Union gunboat on which he had served. At its height (c. 1890) Tuscarora had grown to an estimated population of 3,000. The town thrived until mining depleted the ore bodies. Then Tuscarora’s population declined to nearly ghost town status. In 1966, artists Dennis and Julie Parks moved to Tuscarora and established an internationally famous pottery school. The school and its yard of kilns (follow the hotspots) are located in the former Zweifel Rooming House.
Click here to see the location in Google Maps.